Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Cards

I spent some quiet time this morning - boys at a friend's house, Jason sleeping, grandparents all nestled in their cabin, me with a cup of coffee! - opening a stack of Christmas Cards.

Let it be known that the Christmas Card exchange is by far my favorite tradition all year... better than the 4th of July parade or trick-or-treating or Valentine's candy (all of which also make me sentimental... ). There's something about the spirit of the cards; the time people put in to taking family photos, finding just the right card, writing just the right message and stamping and addressing the card - you know that someone is thinking of you at least for those few seconds it takes to write out your name on the envelope!

So I relish in the opening of every envelope. And today, in the peace of a few quiet moments I opened several and just cried. The collection of cards and all of their meaning and thoughtfulness overwhelmed me and I cried. To read JOY and BLESSINGS and MERRY and PEACE over and over again is encouraging and reassuring. To read the sweet personal notes that some write in their cards is touching and heart warming. And the very best part? Well, in our 'temporary' living arrangement I have hesitated to get too invested, hoping to be back in our home before too long. So there is nothing on the walls to make us feel like we belong here. However, I did have a stroke of genius and decided to display all the Christmas cards we receive this year on the wall... and the effect is beautiful. I feel the presence of all our friends and their love all around me. I gaze upon all the beautiful, smiling faces - my friends and their beautiful families or their excellent adventures and I feel great JOY and BLESSINGS and HAPPINESS and PEACE.


1 comment:

  1. Hope you had a smile and memory filled day yesterday! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete