Saturday, June 14, 2014

Friday the 13th

So.... just as we were settling into some semblance of a summer situation, we up and go burn down the house!

Seriously, the propane tank on our grill exploded Friday late afternoon and the resulting fire left our home in ruins. 

It all happened so fast that it is honestly a miracle that we are all unharmed and ok!

I do feel kind of indebted to Jason's cousin who is visiting - for it was her sage advice to "get off the deck!" which ensured our safety before the deck blew up!

(and just moments before we turned on the grill she had made a comment regarding what a quiet town Meeker was... )

We are overwhelmed and grateful (once again!) to our community and our friends for opening up their homes, feeding us and sometimes even giving us almost literally the shirt off their back!


Oh, and just to keep our humor in check we have absolutely taken every opportunity to laugh about setting our house on fire and even went so far as to consider entries for the accompanying playlist, such as:
- Fire by Bruce Springsteen
- Burning Down the House by The Talking Heads
- We didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel
- Light My Fire by the Doors
(feel free to offer up any ideas of your own!)

Anyway, in case you were wondering how bad it really is....





Our friends went and boarded up the blown out windows and back door to keep out any weather, stray animals (?) or people... and now we wait for insurance to set us up with a plan!

Fortunately, as of Saturday night we have a new place to call home, all the necessities of domesticity, plenty of good food to eat and the relief of being together with family and friends. 

So despite realizing the superstition of it being Friday the 13th (and a full moon?!) I truly am feeling extremely lucky!

12 comments:

  1. I am glad you are all ok and seeing the bright side, because I'm just sitting here crying. I love you you four xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.M.F.G!!!! I'm speechless! If you truly need anything that I can help with and you don't let me help, I will drive out there and throttle you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear this. With everything else going on. Please let us know how we can help. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raging Fire- Phillip Phillips
    Burn it Down- Linkin Park

    Seriously- thank God you're all alright. Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mand- I love you guys so much. I can't believe you're going through all of this. You seriously have the best attitudes of any people I've ever met, though- which makes me love you even more. I'm praying for insurance to come through quickly and for God to turn this thunderstorm into a rainbow. SOON! Also- I'm thinking your road journey blog analogy should now be Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love ya Hightowers - I need an address so I can fedex some feel good cookies for everybody :)
    gema629@yahoo.com
    Gracias,
    Chef Gema

    ReplyDelete
  7. HUGS! You all are amazing. I am shaking just reading about this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn.....and Mojo and I had just given the kitchen windows a 'spotless' cleaning during our last visit!!
    Dado

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is crazy. Thank you for sharing your spirit and story. The pictures are just amazing. Prayers continue for the family and the support you need, whatever that may be each day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my...how is this happening to your family and how are you staying so positive! You are amazing and your family is so lucky to have such a beautiful spirit in their mom/wife. Please let me know if you need anything...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ones.... the closer you come to GOD the more "you know what" wishes you not to. He is not good, so he will give up. Your Perserverance each and every moment, is your Praise to HIM ! GOD LOVES YOU and so do we. Amen!
    Jessica's gram and gramps from........ Escondido,Calif

    ReplyDelete
  12. When we all pray for Jason's miracle healing and you recieve it, we can give GOD all the Glory! AMEN!

    ReplyDelete