Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Rest stop


Given the circumstances, I could not have asked for a better weekend!

We took the chance to go on our previously scheduled spring break trip to Moab and it was perfect. We were with the people we dearly love, we got to play with the boys and see them happy riding bikes and having fun, we got to eat well, drink well, play well and love well!

It was like a rest stop before we detour onto another route...




Jason posted the pic below on Instagram (@himcdonuh) with the caption:
"20 hours out from brain surgery and on a kickin bike ride. My life ROCKS!!!"


So now I am blogging from the waiting room while Bozo gets his noggin cut open.
(Don't worry, he would appreciate me referring to him in that way! He has a surreally good sense of humor about it all.)
We had a great morning - I didn't even get too teary! - and so much of that was due to the care he is getting here. The nurses, anesthesiologist and neurosurgeon are so unbelievably kind and sensitive and sweet enough to laugh at all of Jason's brain tumor jokes!!! The doctor and OR nurse even agreed to take a picture of the inside of Jason's brain (per his request) and play Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic" when the first incision is made! (also Jason's idea)
And Jason's brother shares that sense of humor because when he saw the picture below he said "You got all those zits the day before surgery? That sucks."


So... I am waiting for updates. There are of course risks that are associated with open brain surgery (imagine that!) but we are of the belief that he will come out of surgery and we can (metaphorically!) hit the road on our new adventure.

As Jason said this morning - It's going to be a good day. What other choice do we have?

To be continued....

9 comments:

  1. Moo- My thoughts and prayers are with you all and I know we will be seeing more pics of family bike rides real soon! Love you! Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you so much Mandi! You and your family are such an inspiration on how to deal with detours! I know his sense of humor and the love surrounding him will serve him well. I continue to check back in every half hour. Love- Tine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know you're keeping yourself pre-occupied in the waiting room :) Amazing how a little fun on the camping grounds and trails worked out... now that I see pictures I'm really bummed we missed it! Next year for sure, that's if you guys don't take off to Rocky Point instead! Anyway, recovery starts the moment Jason exits that OR, so make sure it's a quick one, I certainly don't want you missing beach week! Except, tell Jason he'll have to get his own extra booze as I have no baby in my belly for him to score mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know we are thinking about you constantly right now and so glad that Jason's attitude is so great! Looking forward to updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my prayers, dear Moo. Looking forward to hearing of a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

    Love,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mandi,

    Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. ...And wishes for a speedy recovery too... :)

    Best Regards,

    Jonathan Pitts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone on St Simons has been praying for Jason, you and the boys-please keep us updated. We love you Mandi. Ninny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking about you guys, Mandi. Can't believe your stories were making me laugh even with all you guys are going through -- that's one awesome family you've got, lady! Harpers are sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way. -Rob & Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this picture, not the reason, but the spirit is wonderful. We are thinking of you all from our side of the world. I talked to my mother who had just spoken to Peg and Margaret about what's going on. Sending love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete