Saturday, February 15, 2014

New digs!!!

We love our house...
photo courtesy of ali harper photography
But as the boys continued to grow (geesh - don't they ever slow down?!) we started to realize that it was time to make a little change. Though we tried the whole selling-the-house idea, it just never felt right and wasn't very productive anyways! So we went the other route: remodel!

It wasn't that we didn't like the layout of the house - it had worked for almost 12 years after all! - it was just that all four of us (5 if you count the dog... which we usually do.) were sharing the upstairs. That's a bedroom for us, a bedroom for the boys, and one bathroom for everyone!
Oh, but the downstairs! Yes, our basement was beautifully appointed with a large bedroom and bathroom - that were hardly ever used because they were "for guests"!

So we took inventory of our space and decided it was time for us, the parents to move downstairs! (sorry "guests"... we're taking over!) Thinking it would be relatively easy - take out half a wall, finish a small closet, move a door, how hard can that be?! - we figured it would be done in a week. Well, that wasn't exactly the case... but the longer wait made the finished product all the sweeter!

So... with no further ado:

The only good "before" picture of our former guest room:

And here's the new, upstairs guestroom!
Comes with an armoire full of playmobil (!) and one cozy, giant dog.
(yes, Gabe sleeps on the bed. Please don't judge...)



And now, when you descend the beautifully, newly carpeted stairs you find in place of a long, narrow hallway - a door:


which leads to what I am now referring to as "the sanctuary":


replete with newly created his & hers closets:


and best of all, an en suite bathroom!!!


I have to admit, the real downfall of this transition is that for the past 10 years I have been literally in the next room from my babies! Of course, when they actually were babies it was convenient to hear them cry at night for feedings or comfort. But I realize now that even as little boys I loved that they knew I was so physically close - it promoted many morning snuggles in "momma's bed" and made bedtime family readings very comfortable and easy... and in the past week that Jason & I have spent getting used to our "sanctuary" I have found myself a little sad that we have unintentionally ushered in a new era:
one where mom & dad have their own space that is distinctly separate from our kids.

I suppose, though... that that is actually both the beauty and the beast of this change!

7 comments:

  1. Sweet Lord, your remodel turned out awesome!!! Will we all still be allowed to squeeze-in on your bed for bedtime stories when we visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it!!! And of course, the king bed is ALWAYS available for squeeze-in bedtime stories! The more the merrier!!!

      Delete
  2. LOVE IT! WOW! You and Jason deserve your sanctuary! And cuddles and family readings are now just a flight of stairs away!!! Perfect!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. my favorite are the his and hers closets that look so beautifully organized! YES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit, I was a little skeptical of giving up "my room" as well as our volleyball & basketball court AND bowling alley;-D but am duly impressed with how well the make-over has turned out!!! Love the sanctuary and will gladly share my bed with Gabe;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me Moo... with a daily uniform of jeans and a white t-shirt, how on Earth could your closet be so full?!?! =)
    p.s. I'm with Moe-Joe... sure am going to miss that hallway downstairs! So much fun playing basketball, soccer, pillow fighting, gymnastics, and games that never had any names with the boys! So many great memories down there filled with lots of laughs (and just as many tears I think)! It will be missed... but sure do like the new digs. Oh, and the only bed I will be sharing is the one with Key-Den... which means I will be sharing a bed with Gabe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I don't actually ever wear any of those clothes! (Still loving' the "uniform"!!!)

      And key-den has found sanctuary in your bedroom as well since Gabe doesn't come downstairs to sleep with us anymore! So you are welcome to come snuggle in with Jason and the cat when you visit. I'll take Jei and the dog in the guest room! 😜

      Delete